Monday, October 03, 2005

Grand Puba : Mind Your Business (from Ya Know How It Goes 12")





Grand Puba : Mind Your Business (Elektra, 1993)
KRS One : Outta Here (Jive, 1993)

Following the Phife song I post last week here is another B side exclusive song about a rapper taking us back down memory lane, and a bonus song on the same topic which was on the A side.

I'm a sucker for this type of nostalgic storyprobably because I'm old and it also remind me about thos proverbial good ol'days. First song is a SD 50's production for Grand Puba which appeared on Ya Know How It Goes 12" which was I think the 3rd single off his Reel 2 Reel album. I guess that judging from the lukewarm response tha album got he was like "I paid my dues way before I met Sadat and Jamar, and now they have more success than me" so it was probably his way of reminding people that he was far from being a new jack.

I also included Outta Here for a few reasons. First it's obviously on the same subject. It's a dope track. I'm a fan of KRS One. But contrary to Puba or Phife, this wasn't his swan lake. Actually he had some of his biggest hits after that, which gave him the opportunity to stay in the business and to go through enough stuff to address the same subject again on the terrible Hiphop Knowledge (no to mention that the lyrics contained mistakes on his own career !).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the uploading :) These tracks really take me back to a time when I was really excited about hip hop.

I started listening to hip hop in the late 80's, so ya know that all the early - mid 90's tracks I just love. Brings back many memories.

I also wanted to let you know that all the post's from June to March are asking me for user name and password to listen to the mp3's.

Thanks for sharing this blog!